Being a family caregiver means being aware of risks that seniors face and knowing how to reduce those risks or give them the care that they need to help them cope if those issues do arise. One particularly pressing issue for aging adults is shingles. This potentially devastating illness can lead to serious complications and can greatly diminish their quality of life. Understanding it can help you to give them the proper care both when they are at risk of developing it and if they do go contract it.
Some things that you should know about shingles include:
- Approximately 50 percent of all Americans will have developed the shingles virus by the time that they turn 80
- The shingles virus occurs most frequently in people over the age of 50
- Each year approximately 1 million people throughout the United States will suffer from shingles
- People who have immune systems that are particularly compromised, such as those who are dealing with HIV, cancer, or another infection are at the highest risk for developing the shingles virus
- Approximately 10 to 20 percent of shingles cases feature a condition referred to as ophthalmic shingles, which is when the shingles rash develops in or around the eye or the skin of the eye
- Those who develop ophthalmic shingles are thought to be at increased risk of suffering a stroke
- A severely stressful life event can contribute to an elderly adult experiencing an outbreak of shingles
- Postherpetic neuraglia is pain that occurs around the shingles rash that lasts for months or even years after the shingles itself has cleared up
- If your aging parent has had chicken pox in their life, the virus that develops into shingles is already in their body and they are at risk of an outbreak
If your aging parent has been suffering from shingles or any other health condition, now may be the ideal time for you to consider starting elder care for them. An elderly home care services provider can be with your aging parent on a fully customized schedule that ensures that they have all of the attention, care, support, and assistance that they need when they need it while also keeping you at the forefront of their care routine. This means that you are able to give your aging parent the care that is right for both of you and still feel confident that they are getting everything else that they need. When it comes to helping them manage shingles, this care provider can help your parent to understand the guidelines that were given to them by their doctor, and then encourage them to remain compliant with these guidelines as well as their prescriptions. This means reminding them to take their medications when and how they are meant to in order to get the most benefit, as well as supporting them in making the lifestyle decisions that will help them to get through this illness in the best way possible.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elder care in Modesto, CA, contact the caring staff at Provident Home Care. Call today (877) 572-3411.
Robin Conley RN., Owner and CEO of Provident Care Home Care Providing HOME CARE- ASSISTED LIVING PLACEMENT ASSISTANCE
Latest posts by Robin Conley RN, Owner and CEO (see all)
- What Are Negative Behaviors Associated with Alzheimer’s Disease? - November 14, 2017
- Important Bathroom Modifications for Aging Adults - November 7, 2017
- Technology and Cleaning – Are the Latest Gadgets Worth the Hype? - October 31, 2017