Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and as a family caregiver it is more important than ever for you to start planning early. Getting started early on your preparations and planning is essential to making sure you are ready for the challenges of the holiday, while also balancing the ongoing care needs of your senior. As you are getting ready to celebrate Thanksgiving with your family this year, finding ways to simplify the often complicated celebrations can make a tremendous difference in your ability to relax, enjoy your time together, and make the most of this holiday season.
Some easy ways to simplify Thanksgiving with your family include:
- Rather than making the entire feast yourself, host a potluck. Ask each member of your family, or each smaller family unit within your family, to bring a specific element of the meal to eat along with the meat you provide.
- Cut down on the menu. Most of the time people fill the table with countless sides, salads, and accompaniments, only to end up with mostly leftovers at the end of the meal. Save yourself this time and effort by trimming down the menu and creating a simpler plan for the meal. Choose the side dishes that are most popular with your family, cut down your selections to one or two desserts rather than an entire buffet, and choose easy snack items rather than complex appetizers.
- Thanksgiving often makes people think everything needs to be homemade. You don’t have to do it this way. Choose a few of the most important dishes to make with family recipes, and then rely on store-bought items to round out the meal. Frozen sides, pre-made rolls, store-bought pies, and others are fast and tasty ways to take stress off of you.
- Try a new tradition this year and go out to eat for Thanksgiving, or order dinner from a local restaurant. This allows you to focus on spending time with your family rather than cooking. If you want to have a homemade touch to the meal, prepare a homemade dessert to enjoy after the dinner.
Having home care available for your aging parent during family gatherings and celebrations can be one of the best decisions you can make. As a family caregiver you want what is best for your senior, but you also want to spend quality time with them and your other loved ones. Having an in-home senior care services provider at these gatherings allows you to do this. This care provider can give your parent customized care designed to match their specific challenges and needs, encourage them to participate in the celebration as much as possible, and ensure they have the support they need to enjoy themselves. This also reduces your stress, and allows you to focus on enjoying the holiday without worrying about your parent.
If you or an aging loved one are considering home care in Stockton, CA, contact the caring staff at Provident Home Care. Call today (877) 572-3411.
Robin Conley RN., Owner and CEO of Provident Care Home Care Providing HOME CARE- ASSISTED LIVING PLACEMENT ASSISTANCE
Latest posts by Robin Conley RN, Owner and CEO (see all)
- Tips for Cutting Sugar in Your Thanksgiving Feast - November 13, 2018
- When Should You Start Discussing Long-Term Elder Care Needs? - November 6, 2018
- Easy Ways to Simplify Thanksgiving with Your Family - October 30, 2018