It can be difficult to watch a loved one suffer with the pain associated with arthritis. The effects can be debilitating and can result in loss of mobility and independence. Fortunately, there are actions that you and your parent can undertake to help ease the pain and promote a life filled with activity and enjoyment.
Steps to Relieve Pain
If the pain of arthritis is proving overwhelming and limiting for your parent, consider these techniques to relieve pain. Sometimes it takes a little investigative work to find the one that works best for your loved one. But chances are that one of these will help relieve the pain and increase the quality of their life.
- A warm Epsom salts bath. Include 20 drops of lavender to further promote a reduction in pain and an increase in relaxation.
- Other essential oils that can be applied topically for pain relief include ginger. The Arthritis Foundation reported on a study from the University of Miami that suggested ginger extract could even be a substitute for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Ginger’s anti-inflammatory properties may be part of its success.
- Turmeric, taken internally, has been shown to reduce the pain of arthritis. Again, this could be due to its anti-inflammatory processes as well.
- Hot and Cold Therapy can help reduce the pain. Apply ice for 20 minutes, followed by a hot pack for 20 minutes. The ice helps reduce the inflammation and relieve the pain while the heat decreases muscle tension. Between the two, they also increase circulation.
Steps to Reduce Stiffness
Though the last thing your parent probably feels like doing is applying more stress to their aching joints through exercise, it is probably one of the first actions they should undertake. They will, however, want to be gentle to those joints that have been affected by arthritis. There are a number of exercises that increase strength, flexibility and balance without putting undue stress upon the joints. These include water aerobics, swimming, tai chi and stationary bicycling. Increased muscle tone helps support affected joints and is vital to long-term health and maintaining mobility.
Elder Care Provider
If your parent’s arthritis has left them unable to perform the everyday activities of living, consider the aid of an elderly care provider. These trained professionals can help with bathing, dressing, meal preparation and light housekeeping as well as transportation. They can accompany your parent on walks and to exercise class and provide that component so essential to a life well-lived: companionship.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elderly care in Modesto, CA, contact the caring staff at Provident Home Care. Call today (877) 572-3411.
Robin Conley RN., Owner and CEO of Provident Care Home Care Providing HOME CARE- ASSISTED LIVING PLACEMENT ASSISTANCE
Latest posts by Robin Conley RN, Owner and CEO (see all)
- More Seniors Are Logging On To Facebook – How Do You Make Sure Your Mom’s Safe Using It? - October 17, 2017
- How Can Home Care Help Your Senior Prepare Meals? - October 11, 2017
- Provident Care and the Greater Stockton Chamber of Commerce Hold Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for New Stockton Office - October 10, 2017