August is Boomers Making a Difference Month. This is the ideal time for you as a family caregiver to encourage your aging parent to find ways they can get out into the world around them, and make a difference to others in ways that are meaningful to them. Volunteering can be one of the most beneficial activities your parent can enjoy during their later years. Participating in volunteer opportunities can boost your parent’s mental, emotional, and physical health and well-being as they age.
Some of the benefits of volunteering for your aging parent include:
- Many elderly adults feel as though they are no longer relevant, or that they cannot make a difference to anyone any longer. Volunteering is a powerful way to show them that they are still important, and that they can make an impact.
- Feeling involved and important to the world around them reduces the risk of experiencing negative consequences such as depression and anxiety that can be detrimental to their quality of life, and their motivation to take care of themselves.
- Interacting with other volunteers during these activities stimulates your parent’s mind. This type of social interaction is critical to mental and emotional health, and can support better cognitive functioning.
- Participating in volunteer activities can help your parent get more physical activity. This can protect their physical health, improve their strength, and even decrease chances of serious injuries and illnesses as they keep their body in better condition.
- Seeing that they are making a difference in the lives of others can help your parent to find greater appreciation and value in themselves. This can increase their motivation to take care of their health and continue to live an involved, invested lifestyle as they age.
In your role as your senior’s family caregiver, preserving their quality of life is one of your top priorities. Starting senior care for them can be a meaningful and effective way to help you accomplish this goal. A senior home care services provider is a valuable source of support providing fully customizable services to your aging parent to help them live healthier, stay safer in their own home, and pursue a more fulfilling and independent lifestyle. This can include services within their home such as meal preparation, assistance with housekeeping tasks, and personal care, as well as services outside of their home such as reliable transportation, physical support, and assistance with care needs when they are participating in activities and outings. This encourages your parent to live a more active lifestyle, including finding ways to make a difference in the world around them.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in San Ramon, CA, contact the caring staff at Provident Home Care. Call today (877) 572-3411.
Robin Conley RN., Owner and CEO of Provident Care Home Care Providing HOME CARE- ASSISTED LIVING PLACEMENT ASSISTANCE
Latest posts by Robin Conley RN, Owner and CEO (see all)
- Ways to Include Seniors in Holiday Events - December 11, 2018
- What Happens When Caregiving Becomes a Full-time Deal? - December 4, 2018
- Five Tips to Make Daily Life Less Frustrating for Someone with Alzheimer’s Disease - November 27, 2018